AHSS Research Support 2017-18 (Round 1)
Round 1 Submissions: Due by November 28, 2017
Research Support in the Arts, Humanities, & Social Sciences is made possible by joint funding from the Office of the Vice President for Research and the College and Graduate School of Arts & Sciences. There is one round of submissions in the fall and one in the spring.
- Round 1
Call: October 30, 2017
Deadline: November 28, 2017
- Round 2
Call: January 10, 2018
Deadline: November February 23, 2018
Funding may be requested for up to $3,000 for individual grant proposals and up to $6,000 for collaborative proposals for any activity or expense associated with a scholarly or research project. These may include (but are not limited to):
- Field research and visits to archives and special collections.
- Preparation of manuscripts for publication and associated costs, such as subvention fees. Please note that this funding does NOT pay for editorial, indexing, research assistance (e.g., hiring graduate research assistants), nor summer wages for applicant(s).
- Preliminary data collection, preparatory travel, etc., that will strengthen external grant proposals (note: may not be used to hire a grant writer).
- Inviting collaborators related to a faculty member’s research to Grounds.
- Support for joint funding for collaborative projects by two or more faculty members from different departments or programs.
Two things to keep in mind:
- Travel to scholarly conferences to give papers or participate in panels will NOT be supported.
- Applicants may NOT receive funding from this program more than once per academic year.
All full-time, regular Arts & Sciences faculty (tenure-track and general faculty) in the Arts, Humanities, & Social Sciences are eligible to apply for this support, but preference will be given to those who do not have access to other forms of research support through their departments, the Office of the Dean, the Office of the Vice President for Research, or other sources of funding. Preference will also be given to faculty in continuing positions in the College.
Applications will be vetted by a small committee appointed by the Dean's Office. Applications should include the materials listed (and in the order as listed) below; saved in one PDF; and titled with your last name, first name, and “AHSS_Fall2017". Example: Doe_Jane_AHSS_Fall2017.
- Brief proposal (1-2 pages, double-spaced): Explains the need for funding and the expected benefits. Please contextualize the work within the primary applicant’s research program in this proposal. Group projects may include one extra page contextualizing the work in with the research program of collaborating faculty. Please ensure that you:
- State what results you intend to realize from the research (publications, works of art, exhibits, etc.)
- Include a timeline for the work proposed.
- Brief itemized budget: Include funds that have already been committed to this project and the source of those funds.
- Documentation for budget items, especially in the case of request for subventions when it is helpful to have a letter from the publisher accepting the book under the condition that a subvention of a specific sum is provided. It is also helpful to have documentation showing the purpose for which the subvention will be used, so that it is clear it will not be used for editorial assistance or indexing (which this grant does not cover).
- Brief CV: No more than two pages long, and include all faculty partners when applying as a group.
Responsibilities of the Recipient:
Deadline for Spending Funds
The funding received in 2017-2018 AY must be spent by Friday, December 7, 2018. Any unspent funds will be returned at that time.
All 2017-2018 recipients must submit a final report by Friday, December 7, 2018. A reminder email will be sent out in late Fall 2017, to those who were granted Round 1 research support, to submit their reports, with instructions on how to do so.
If recipient fails to submit this report, the following will happen:
- He/she will be liable to repay the research support.
- It will jeopardize your ability to receive support in subsequent award cycles.
Submissions are due by November 28, 2017.