Call for Applications: Cory Family Teaching Awards 2017
Submissions are due no later than February 6, 2017.
Designed to reward and incentivize excellence in teaching among junior faculty, the Cory Family Teaching Awards are made possible by a generous gift from Mr. and Mrs. Charles R. Cory, in collaboration with the College Foundation Board.
Two awards of $25,000 each (paid as taxable bonus payments) will be announced/made at Fall Convocation 2017, to recognize junior faculty for excellence and innovation in teaching and the promise of sustained commitment to teaching the undergraduate students.
- A faculty member must be in a tenure-track position, prior to having attained tenure and must have taught for a minimum of one academic year at the University of Virginia. Faculty who are not yet tenured at the time of nomination for the award are eligible. Faculty must have their primary appointment in one of the departments identified below, and one award will be given each year to a junior faculty member from each of the two groups:
- Group A: Anthropology, Art, Classics, English, History, Philosophy, Politics, Religious Studies, and Sociology
- Group B: Astronomy, Biology, Chemistry, Economics, Environmental Sciences, Mathematics, Physics, Psychology, and Statistics
- Faculty must have taught an introductory-level class (1000- and 2000-level) during at least one of the preceding three semesters
- Previous winners are not eligible as the award may only be received one time
An application should include the following six elements, saved into one .pdf file, and uploaded via the "upload" button, below:
- Brief letter of nomination from the department chair or associate dean
- Statement of teaching philosophy
- Sample syllabi
- Letter of support from two faculty colleagues who have mentored and/or observed the teaching of the nominee
- Letter of support from 2 students who are or were in classes taught by the nominee
- Course evaluations