Call for Applications: Sesquicentennial Associateships 2018-2019
Due from Dept. Chairs by Friday, October 20, 2017
The Sesquicentennial Associateships application process takes place in the fall of the academic year preceding the academic year during which the Sesqui will be taken. Sesquis for the 2017-2018 academic year have already been awarded.
The following are eligible to apply for a 2018-2019 academic year Sesqui:
- Tenured faculty members who, when the Sesqui leave begins, will have completed ten full-time teaching semesters since their last Sesqui
- Tenure-track faculty members who are completing their fifth and sixth semesters of teaching at U.Va. during the 2017-2018 academic year and who wish to take Sesqui leave during their fourth year (known as 4th-Year Associates)
Sesqui Associates will be assigned to full-time research at full pay for one semester or half-time research at half pay for an academic year. In the latter case, the Buckner W. Clay Dean of Arts and Sciences will monitor the acceptability of any other partial salaries or stipends received by the associate. The site at which the research is to be carried out should be specified in the application, and any subsequent changes of site should have the approval of the dean.
The Associate Dean for the Arts & Humanities, the Associate Dean for the Social Sciences, and the Associate Dean for the Sciences will oversee the selection of Sesquicentennial Associates. This process will take the following into account:
- Presence of an active and successful research program since the previous Sesqui
- Candidate's fulfillment of goals stated in the previous Sesqui application
- Chair's ranking and recommendation
- Number of non-Sesqui leaves taken since candidate's previous Sesqui
Responsibilities of the Sesqui Associate
Letter of Intent
After receiving an award letter, the Sesqui Associate will be responsible for completing a form stating the dates of when and how they intend to take the leave, securing signatures from the department, and sending to the Dean's Office. If at any time the agreed-upon leave dates change, the associate must contact the department and Dean's Office.
Returning to U.Va.
Any faculty member who accepts a Sesqui will be expected to return to full-time work at the University of Virginia for at least two semesters at the completion of the Sesqui leave. Should a faculty member fail to return for a full year, he/she will be liable to repay the salary and benefits paid by the College during the Sesqui leave.
All 2018-2019 Sesqui Associates must submit a final report by Friday, September 27, 2019. The call for reports will occur in August 2019, but they may submit a report at any time upon the completion of their term.
The report should state the following:
- When and where the Sesqui leave took place
- Research conducted
- Abstract of work(s) written at least in part during the Sesqui leave and their publication status (not necessary to include copies of publications; bibliographical citations will suffice)
If an associate fails to submit this report, the following will happen:
- He/she will be liable to repay the salary and benefits paid by the College during the Sesqui leave.
- It will prejudice the next Sesqui application submitted by the candidate.
How to Apply
Part One: Applicant's Responsibility
Applicant will submit the following to their department chair by the deadline set by the chair.
- 1 PDF (no Word documents)
- Please title: Lastname_Firstname_sesquiapp_20182019
- Combine the following 5 elements in this EXACT order:
- Narrative statement of research plans (not to exceed 5 pages, double-spaced). Please make sure that all applications are written so as to be accessible to people outside the discipline and include a page header of your name, title, and department.
- Semester(s)/year of last Sesqui and a list of courses taught in each semester since the last Sesqui or, in the case of untenured faculty members, since arriving at UVA.
- Report from the last Sesqui with a brief description of the outcome of work; can be the same as the report you submitted at the conclusion of your last Sesqui (n/a to 4th-Year Associates).
- Copies of the last two annual reports
- Curriculum Vitae
Part Two: Department Chair's Responsibility
By Friday, October 20, 2017, the department chair will submit a letter and the department's applications to the Dean's Office.
The chair's letter should include the following:
- Rank of applications in priority order and with an evaluative paragraph on each one
- Evaluations of the outcome of work undertaken on each applicant’s last Sesqui
- Please Note: When recommending how leaves should be sequenced, chairs should consider the impact of these leaves on the department’s teaching mission.