Directors of Diversity & Inclusion
Roles, Responsibilities, and Expectations
Directors of Diversity & Inclusion (DDIs) will advance, promote and cultivate diverse, inclusive, and equitable departments. Collectively the DDIs will constitute a community of advocates and partners. Working with the Associate Dean for Diversity and Inclusion, they will assist in implementing best practices and serve as a point of contact in their department/program for issues relating to diversity, inclusion and equity. Such issues include but are not limited to the following:
- Hiring and retention of faculty (and, where applicable, postdoctoral scholars);
- Graduate student recruitment, retention, and curriculum;
- Undergraduate student recruitment, retention, and curriculum;
- Staff hiring, treatment, and retention; and
- Cultivating a diverse, inclusive and equitable departmental climate.
Duration of the DDI’s tenure
DDIs are appointed by the chair of their department. DDIs will serve a 3-year term and they are limited to 2 terms. Junior faculty, both general and tenure track may not be appointed as a DDI for their department or program.
What does the DDI do?
- Attend at least 2 DDI meetings each semester.
- Meet individually with the AD for Diversity and Inclusion once per semester.
- Provide updates and present information during their departmental faculty meetings when appropriate, and at least once a semester.
- In departments and programs with graduate programs: Meet with prospective graduate students during recruitment visits, and all enrolled graduate students at least once a year.
- Participate as an external member in chair/director search process.
- Participate in the faculty search and hiring process. At a minimum: join the AD for Diversity and Inclusion in the search launch meeting with HR and the search chair, review the position description prior to posting, assist with the outreach to diverse candidates, provide feedback regarding the search process (including but not limited to rubric and criteria for long and short lists of candidates), and meets with candidates during interviews.
Each DDI selects one or two focus areas from the following list for their department or program each year in consultation with their department and the AD for Diversity and Inclusion
- Faculty (and, where applicable, postdoc) hiring and retention.
- Graduate student recruitment, retention, and curriculum.
- Undergraduate student recruitment, retention, and curriculum.
- Staff hiring, treatment, and retention.
- Cultivating a diverse, inclusive, and equitable departmental climate.
- Other activities that the DDI determines are critical for their department’s role in advancing, promoting, and cultivating a diverse, inclusive, and equitable environment.
DDI compensation- $2500 allocated to their research budgets per year of tenure.
Directors of Diversity & Inclusion
Current directors are listed, by department, below.
American Studies: Sandyha Shukla
Anthropology: George Mentore
Art: Lydia Moyer
Astronomy: Ed Murphy
Biology: Butch Brodie
Blandy Experimental Farm: Kyle Haynes
Chemistry: Cassandra Fraser
Classics: Coulter George
Computer Science: Luther Tychonievich
Drama: Caitlin McLeod
East Asian Lang, Lit & Cultures: Gustav Heldt
Economics: Leora Friedberg
English/Creative Writing: Victoria Olwell
Environmental Sciences: Manuel Lerdau
French Lit/Gen Linguistics: Kandioura Dramé
German/Slavic: Bill McDonald
History: Penny von Eschen
Mathematics: David Sherman
Media Studies: Christopher Ali
Mid East & S. Asian Lang & Cultures: Hanadi Al-Samman
Monroe Hall: Mark Hadley
Music: Ted Coffey
Philosophy: Jorge Secada
Physics: Chris Neu
Politics: David Leblang
Psychology: Bethany Teachman
Religious Studies: Heather Warren
Sociology: Katya Makarova
Spanish, Italian, Portuguese: Anne-Garland Mahler
Statistics: Jeff Holt
Women, Gender & Sexuality: Geeta Patel
Woodson IAAS: Lisa Shutt
Diversity & Inclusion Grants
We are now accepting proposals for the 2018-19 Diversity & Inclusion Grants. The deadline for applications is January 17, 2020.
Past Award Recipients / Projects
- Dorothe Bach / Feasibility Study for Establishing a University-wide Interactive Theater to Promote Diversity and Inclusion
- Kevin Everson / How Can I Ever Be Late
- Cori Field / Global History of Black Girlhood Conference
- Michael Gerli / Matching Funds to Bring African American Graduate Students to Grounds
- Marlen Gonzalez / Diversifying Scholarship at UVA: Forging Interdisciplinary Connections, Empowering Students, and Promoting a Culture of Inclusivity
- Brent Gunnoe / Enhancing the Diversity of Graduate Student Population in the Department of Chemistry
- Keisha John / Summer Research Opportunities for Underserved Undergraduates
- Karlin Luedtke / Utilizing Academic Support Resources to Aid in the Retention of Students on Probationary Status in the College of Arts & Sciences
- Katya Makarova / Diverse Disciplines, Inclusive Institutions: Rethinking our Academic Agendas
- Sara Maloni / Women and Diversity in Mathematics, Statistics, and Physics
- Gretchen Martinet and Jeff Holt / Statistics Workshop
- Bethany Teachman / Partnering with Graduate Students to Advance Diversity and Inclusion
- Rukmani Vijayaraghavan and Ed Murphy / Girls Exploring the Universe: 2017