Directors of Diversity & Inclusion
DDIs serve to advance, promote and cultivate diverse and inclusive departments. They will assist in implementing best practices and communicate to appropriate parties about issues relating to diversity and inclusion including: faculty hiring, search committees, search process, faculty retention, departmental climate, guiding/mediating peers in difficult conversations or around issues of conflict, graduate student recruitment/retention/climate, curriculum in undergraduate and graduate programs, and staff retention/climate.
Directors of Diversity & Inclusion
Current directors are listed, by department, below.
Anthropology: George Mentore
Art: Daniel Ehnbom
Astronomy: Ed Murphy
Biology: Ray Keller
Chemistry: Cassandra Fraser
Classics: John Dillery
Drama: Caitlin McLeod
East Asian Lang, Lit & Cultures: Mieko Kawai
Economics: Leora Friedberg
English/Creative Writing: John O'Brien
Environmental Sciences: Manuel Lerdau
French Lit/Gen Linguistics: Jennifer Tsien
German/Slavic: Bill McDonald
History: Allan Megill
Jewish Studies: [new; TBD]
Mathematics & Statistics: Jeff Holt
Media Studies: Camilla Fojas
Mid East & S. Asian Lang & Cultures: Mehr Farooqi
Monroe Hall: Beverly Adams
Monroe Hall: Erin Eaker
Music: Bonnie Gordon
Philosophy: Elizabeth Barnes
Physics: Xiaochao Zheng
Politics: Carol Mershon
Psychology: Bethany Teachman
Religious Studies: Heather Warren
Sociology: Katya Makarova
Spanish, Italian, Portuguese: Mané Lagos
Vice Provost for Research: Keisha John
Women, Gender & Sexuality: Cori Field
Woodson IAAS & Amer Studies: Sandhya Shukla
- These individuals join departmental officers (e.g., Director of Undergraduate Programs-DUPs; Director of Graduate Studies-DGS; Vice/Associate Chair, if applicable; and Department Chair) in providing leadership for the department or program. DDI will report to the dept. chair/program director and the Academic Associate Dean for their unit.
- Term of appointment: DDI serve three-year terms. In years 1-2 they are the primary DDI for their unit. In year three, they will officially mentor year 1 of the incoming DDI. This mentorship period will allow for maximum carrying forward of knowledge, skills, and information.
- A&S is partnering with the Provost Office and UVa CHARGE to introduce the DDI program and to provide information and support for DDI in an ongoing basis, including development of in-person and virtual tools or seminars for sharing information and skill building.
- Collectively the DDIs will constitute a community of advocates, and will be convened for orientation and best practice sessions as well as interactions by digital means (e.g., Collab site, discussion tools, etc.).
- We propose a particular focus on building diverse, inclusive, effective search processes – from creation of job postings through to on-boarding of new faculty. DDI will serve as a consultant to all departmental search committees, with the possibility of serving on one or more search committees directly.
Diversity & Inclusion Grants
Click on the orange text to see the November 2017 Request for Proposals.
Past Award Recipients / Projects
- Dorothe Bach / Feasibility Study for Establishing a University-wide Interactive Theater to Promote Diversity and Inclusion
- Kevin Everson / How Can I Ever Be Late
- Cori Field / Global History of Black Girlhood Conference
- Michael Gerli / Matching Funds to Bring African American Graduate Students to Grounds
- Marlen Gonzalez / Diversifying Scholarship at UVA: Forging Interdisciplinary Connections, Empowering Students, and Promoting a Culture of Inclusivity
- Brent Gunnoe / Enhancing the Diversity of Graduate Student Population in the Department of Chemistry
- Keisha John / Summer Research Opportunities for Underserved Undergraduates
- Karlin Luedtke / Utilizing Academic Support Resources to Aid in the Retention of Students on Probationary Status in the College of Arts & Sciences
- Katya Makarova / Diverse Disciplines, Inclusive Institutions: Rethinking our Academic Agendas
- Sara Maloni / Women and Diversity in Mathematics, Statistics, and Physics
- Gretchen Martinet and Jeff Holt / Statistics Workshop
- Bethany Teachman / Partnering with Graduate Students to Advance Diversity and Inclusion
- Rukmani Vijayaraghavan and Ed Murphy / Girls Exploring the Universe: 2017
Resources / Diversity & Inclusion - Relevant Articles
AAUP: Statement Urges Caution Toward Academic Analytics
CHE: As Concerns Grow About Using Data to Measure Faculty, a Company Changes Its Message
Darden: Scott Page on Leveraging Diversity
Huff Post: 10 Signs of Institutional Racism and the Rhetoric of "Greatness"
Stanford CPI: Social Networks and Getting a Job
VFH: Roots of Segregation in Virginia: A Community Conversation with Ed Ayers
WSJ: Hard Truths About Race on Campus