Directors of Diversity & Inclusion
DDIs serve to advance, promote and cultivate diverse and inclusive departments. They will assist in implementing best practices - and communicate to appropriate parties - about issues relating to diversity and inclusion including: faculty hiring, search committees, search process, faculty retention, departmental climate, guiding/mediating peers in difficult conversations or around issues of conflict, graduate student recruitment/retention/climate, curriculum in undergraduate and graduate programs, and staff retention/climate.
Directors of Diversity & Inclusion
Current directors are listed, by department, below.
American Studies: Sylvia Chong
Anthropology: George Mentore
Art: Daniel Ehnbom
Astronomy: Ed Murphy
Biology: Ray Keller
Chemistry: Cassandra Fraser
Classics: John Dillery
Drama: Caitlin McLeod
East Asian Lang, Lit & Cultures: Anne Kinney
Economics: Leora Friedberg
English/Creative Writing: John O'Brien
Environmental Sciences: Manuel Lerdau
French Lit/Gen Linguistics: Kandioura Dramé
German/Slavic: Bill McDonald
History: Fahad Bishara, Allan Megill
Jewish Studies: [tbd]
Mathematics & Statistics: Jeff Holt
Media Studies: Christopher Ali
Mid East & S. Asian Lang & Cultures: Mehr Farooqi
Monroe Hall: Beverly Adams
Monroe Hall: Erin Eaker
Music: Bonnie Gordon
Philosophy: Elizabeth Barnes
Physics: Xiaochao Zheng
Politics: Carol Mershon
Psychology: Bethany Teachman
Religious Studies: Heather Warren
Sociology: Katya Makarova
Spanish, Italian, Portuguese: Mané Lagos
Vice Provost for Research: Keisha John
Women, Gender & Sexuality: Lanice Avery
Woodson IAAS: [tbd]
- These individuals join departmental officers (e.g., Director of Undergraduate Programs-DUPs; Director of Graduate Studies-DGS; Vice/Associate Chair, if applicable; and Department Chair) in providing leadership for the department or program. DDI will report to the dept. chair/program director and the Academic Associate Dean for their unit.
- Term of appointment: DDI serve three-year terms. In years 1-2 they are the primary DDI for their unit. In year three, they will officially mentor year 1 of the incoming DDI. This mentorship period will allow for maximum carrying forward of knowledge, skills, and information.
- A&S is partnering with the Provost Office and UVa CHARGE to introduce the DDI program and to provide information and support for DDI in an ongoing basis, including development of in-person and virtual tools or seminars for sharing information and skill building.
- Collectively the DDIs will constitute a community of advocates, and will be convened for orientation and best practice sessions as well as interactions by digital means (e.g., Collab site, discussion tools, etc.).
- We propose a particular focus on building diverse, inclusive, effective search processes – from creation of job postings through to on-boarding of new faculty. DDI will serve as a consultant to all departmental search committees, with the possibility of serving on one or more search committees directly.
Diversity & Inclusion Grants
Click on the orange text to see the November 2017 Request for Proposals.
Past Award Recipients / Projects
- Dorothe Bach / Feasibility Study for Establishing a University-wide Interactive Theater to Promote Diversity and Inclusion
- Kevin Everson / How Can I Ever Be Late
- Cori Field / Global History of Black Girlhood Conference
- Michael Gerli / Matching Funds to Bring African American Graduate Students to Grounds
- Marlen Gonzalez / Diversifying Scholarship at UVA: Forging Interdisciplinary Connections, Empowering Students, and Promoting a Culture of Inclusivity
- Brent Gunnoe / Enhancing the Diversity of Graduate Student Population in the Department of Chemistry
- Keisha John / Summer Research Opportunities for Underserved Undergraduates
- Karlin Luedtke / Utilizing Academic Support Resources to Aid in the Retention of Students on Probationary Status in the College of Arts & Sciences
- Katya Makarova / Diverse Disciplines, Inclusive Institutions: Rethinking our Academic Agendas
- Sara Maloni / Women and Diversity in Mathematics, Statistics, and Physics
- Gretchen Martinet and Jeff Holt / Statistics Workshop
- Bethany Teachman / Partnering with Graduate Students to Advance Diversity and Inclusion
- Rukmani Vijayaraghavan and Ed Murphy / Girls Exploring the Universe: 2017
Resources / Diversity & Inclusion - Relevant Articles
AAUP: Statement Urges Caution Toward Academic Analytics
CHE: As Concerns Grow About Using Data to Measure Faculty, a Company Changes Its Message
CHE: A University Overhauled Its Course Evaluation to Get Better Feedback. Here's What Changed.
Darden: Scott Page on Leveraging Diversity
Huff Post: 10 Signs of Institutional Racism and the Rhetoric of "Greatness"
Stanford CPI: Social Networks and Getting a Job
VFH: Roots of Segregation in Virginia: A Community Conversation with Ed Ayers
WSJ: Hard Truths About Race on Campus